cat 5 & electrical

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 11 16:52:26 UTC 2007

Chris Aitken wrote:
> James Knott wrote:
>
>> Colin McGregor wrote:
>>

>>> --- Chris Aitken <chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>>
> <snip>
>
>> I wonder what they base that on?  As the safety specs say, the cables
>> can be close, provided there's a conduit or raceway of some type
>> protecting them.  And as I mentioned, the frequencies in question are
>> too far apart for interference to be an issue.  Sure more distance is
>> nice, but not always attainable.
>>

> Now we've decided that although the cat 5 will be in separate holes
> (than the electrical wire), we want to put two cables in the cat 5
> holes. Any crosstalk problem with that?

Not likely.  When the engineers set the maximum recommended length, they
considered crosstalk within the cable.  The pairs in another cable would
not be as close, as those within the same cable.  Also, crosstalk does
not occur only at the ends.  It is distributed along the entire length
of the cable and the cables would likely not be in such close proximity
anywhere else.  Also that sort of thing tends to become critical only at
the extremes of allowed cable length.  One thing that is important is to
not use staples that crush the cable.  It's best to use the plastic
clips or cable ties to hold the cable in place.  Crushing the cable can
cause a discontinuity of the cable characteristics, which could lead to
signal degradation.