cat 5 & electrical

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 11 02:35:53 UTC 2007

Colin McGregor wrote:
> --- Chris Aitken <chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
>> James Knott wrote:

>> wall frame

>> other problem?
>>

>>> While it's always a good idea to keep data and
>>>
>> power separate, there is
>>
>>> no interference issue between them.  The 60 Hz AC
>>>
>> frequency is far
>>
>>> removed from the frequencies used in ethernet.
>>>
>> Also, ethernet was
>>
>>> designed to share multipair cables with phone
>>>
>> systems, where the
>>
>>> frequencies are also much higher than 60 Hz.
>>>

>> Thanks. We're getting an electrician to inspect it
>> and he wants to see
>> separate holes minimum six inches apart - so we're
>> going with that.
>>

> Have a look at:
>
> http://www.siemon.com/us/white_papers/99-07-15-nextgencabling.asp
>
> Bottom line in these folks view is that while not
> legally required 24 inches is recommended...

I wonder what they base that on?  As the safety specs say, the cables
can be close, provided there's a conduit or raceway of some type
protecting them.  And as I mentioned, the frequencies in question are
too far apart for interference to be an issue.  Sure more distance is
nice, but not always attainable.