USB portable drive weirdness

Duncan MacGregor dbmacg-HLeSyJ3qPdM at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 9 21:08:43 UTC 2007

Some computer 'features' remain, mainframe or  PC, such as power supplies that
produce erratic or weak current. They manifest themselves in other ways, like
erratic peripheral behaviour.

Low humidity in December caused erratic mainframe problems in the dear old
days, making printers an tape drives fail. High-speed tape rewind in a dry
environment would leave a trail of static sparks that *erased* the tape. A
few buckets of water in the air conditioner kept us going once we figured it
out. But it took several Decembers.

Computers that are overheating never say 'It's too hot!' and shut down
gracefully, but hang or leave bizarre software messages.

So you have to to guess about power supply capability.

Dunc

--
---

Duncan MacGregor	--- Toronto ---