$200 Linux Laptop

Mike Kallies mike.kallies-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 10 02:03:28 UTC 2007

On 8/9/07, William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 25, 2007 at 03:15:43AM -0400, Sy Ali wrote:
> > ASUS:
> > http://www.hothardware.com/articles/Hands%5Fon%5Fwith%5Fthe%5FASUS%5FEee/
> > http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3829
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFLJJw6WRqM
> > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEeLJltAHRE
> >
> > The Kitchener Waterloo LUG is wooing ASUS to get a loaner laptop to
> > present on it, or to get a rep to drop by.  No luck yet.  Do we have
> > any contacts with ASUS to try the same?
> >
> > Also, there's this one:
> > Medison Celebrity     $ 163.21 CAD
> > http://www.medisoncelebrity.com/product.html
>
> $200 is rip-off.  BestBuy is selling a "mainstream" Acer laptop for
> $499.  Lesson: Never fight commodity PC.  You won't win.

$470 Acer:
<http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?sku_id=0665000FS10089803&catid=11520&logon=&langid=EN>
Product Weight 	2.4 kg
Product Dimensions  	34.1(W) x 3.5(H) x 25.1(D) cm

$200 eee PC
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ASUS_Eee_PC
Weight: 890 g 2 lbs
Dimensions: 22.5 × 16.5 × 2.1~3.5 cm

The eee PC is small enough to carry around, (supposedly) more durable
than most machines, and cheap enough that you won't have to pack it in
a specially reinforced foam backpack.

BTW, unless somebody has newer info than me, the Medison is a scam :-)

-Mike