OT: Not-so-precise Swiss army unit mistakenly invades Liechtenstein

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 9 18:49:51 UTC 2007

On 8/9/07, Kareem Shehata <kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:

>  On Wed, 2007-08-08 at 19:30 -0400, Scott Elcomb wrote:
>
> Curious - I'm pretty sure we see eye-to-eye on any number of issues,and fortunately for all involved (soldiers, politicians, and us"spectators") it is "a humorous accident," by why would you call this"hilarious?"
>
>  Soldier 1: Hey dude, are we there yet? (in Swiss German)
> Soldier 2: Yea I think so, there's some lights ahead
> Soldier 1: This isn't where we started
> Soldier 2: Dude, we just invaded an un-armed country!
>
>  If armed American soldiers ended up more than a Kilometer into Canada,would the story be as funny?
>
>  Yes it would.  Though we have enough hot air bags that I'm sure someone
> would make it big deal.  We also have an army where Lichtenstein does not.

There is also the difference that Canada is the second largest country in
the world, whereas Liechtenstein occupies just 160 km^2.

What is more deeply ironic about this is that Swiss troops (from a country
that was neutral in both World Wars) "invaded" a neighbouring country *that
was also neutral.*

Their relevant histories of neutrality are different (Switzerland has been
neutral since 1815, after CONSIDERABLE previous conflict, where their
mercenaries were amongst the "tough guys" of Europe in the middle ages)
whereas Liechtenstein only made such a declaration in 1868, the year after
our Confederation).

And, well, while Switzerland is neutral, they maintain a seriously nasty
army (following the principle of "trust but verify"), whereas Liechtenstein
disbanded their 80 troops at the time Canada became a country...

Yes, it sure is funny :-).
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)