Does no flashing lights mean a dead network card?

zuoheng zh.huang-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 9 13:11:21 UTC 2007

some type of NIC has two LED, one for link and one for activity

The one for link will not flash, while the one for activity will flash when
there is network traffic.

I suggest to use "mii-tool" under shell prompt, to check if the
auto-negotiation has succeed. Its output is more about the physical
connection.

my two cents.

/zuoheng