Does no flashing lights mean a dead network card?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 9 13:05:26 UTC 2007

On Thu, Aug 09, 2007 at 07:25:38AM -0400, James Knott wrote

> It could be damaged and not complain, if the damage gives the same
> appearance as no connection.  However it is an old computer, but NICs
> are cheap.  Your decision.

  Now that I think about it, it may have been dead before the move.  I
asked for ADSL to be cut at month-end so I wouldn't have to pay for all
of August, just for minimal usage in the first few days.  I was using
dialup.  I have a script ~/bin/dialup that I use to connect...

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/sudo /sbin/ifconfig eth0 down
/usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/cp -f /etc/ssmtp/295.ssmtp.conf /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf
/usr/bin/sudo /usr/sbin/pon 295ca

  Appropriate entries made in /etc/sudoers and it works OK.  My script
to exit the dialup session is ~/bin/dialdown like so

#!/bin/bash
/usr/bin/sudo /usr/sbin/poff
/usr/bin/sudo /usr/bin/cp -f /etc/ssmtp/istop.ssmtp.conf /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf
/usr/bin/sudo /etc/init.d/net.eth0 restart

  In the week *BEFORE THE MOVE* it was having extreme problems with the
restart of eth0 after exiting the dialup session.  If I wasn't so busy
getting ready to move, I would've posted a question either here or on
the Gentoo forum.  I had packed away my other linux computer, so I
never got to test out local networking in the days before the move.

  This is just one problem.  I'm doing more and more streaming stuff.
It handles internet radio (live365.com) OK.  But it stutters badly on
YouTube, etal.  As a matter of fact, in some cases I can download the
video, play it back, and it still stutters.  A 1999 450 mhz PIII simply
doesn't cut it today.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?