Does no flashing lights mean a dead network card?

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Thu Aug 9 03:58:52 UTC 2007

  I've been looking for an excuse to get rid of my 1999 Dell, all 128
megs of RAM and 450 mhz PIII.  I just moved, and I find that the network
cardi lights do not flash at all.  I believe that implies dead hardware.
I think this is co-incidence.  A knock during the move hard enough to
break the network card should've wreaked havoc with the rest of the
machine.  It works OK, except for the dead network card, which means no
ADSL; did I ever mention that dialup is a pain?

  I decided some time ago that when parts start needing to be replaced,
I should get rid of it.  Does no flashing lights mean dead a physically
dead card?  The weird part is that dmesg doesn't complain, and ifconfig
shows eth0 present and looking OK, but I can't even ping my ADSL modem.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?