How to deal with errant tablet manufacturers

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Aug 5 05:05:26 UTC 2007

| From: Kareem Shehata <kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org>

[Please use plain text for messages you send to the list, not HTML.]

| Just wanted to check how the people on this list have dealt with this
| problem, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who's run into something like
| this.

Tough problem.

|  The short end of the story is that I purchased a tablet from
| Electrovaya in November, and I've had problems with it for the past 6
| months.

I don't know that brand (I have heard its name, but that is about it).
I take it you ordered this -- you did not order it from a local store.

| First off the symptoms:  when the battery gets below 20%, it'll either
| turn right off or the screen will go blank with no hope of it coming
| back, even after plugging the unit in.

Perhaps your battery isn't callibrated.  As I understand it, your
software (BIOS?) may need to experiment to discover the voltage curve of
your particular battery.  It may well be that the batter has been
exhausted while the system thinks there is still 20% capacity left.

Do check if there is a BIOS update too.  It might affect power
management.

|  From what I can tell, you have
| to start with a full battery and run it down to that point, so it may be
| heat-related.  I've always been able to reproduce this problem.

Can you replicate it while the computer is on a laptop cooler of some kind?

Can you replicate the problem in MS Windows (I presume that it came
preloaded with Windows)?