How to deal with errant tablet manufacturers

Martin Duclos tchitow-PkbjNfxxIARBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Sat Aug 4 11:17:57 UTC 2007

Hey Kareem,

I've have similar problems in the past with a different piece of hardware.
The support wouldn't do anything past reboot unplug update firmware. The
best advice I can give you is to contact the company's customer relations
departement, explain the problem in simple terms with how long it's been
going on. Suggest that you would not recommend the product to anyone and so
far your view of the company is very negative. Also mention that you feel
they haven't honered their warrenty agreement and if nothing is done you
will contact the better business bureau. That has always provided me with
positive results in the past. Let me know how it goes!

Martin

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to check how the people on this list have dealt with this
problem, as I'm sure I'm not the only one who's run into something like
this.  The short end of the story is that I purchased a tablet from
Electrovaya in November, and I've had problems with it for the past 6
months.  I was told to my face this afternoon that my request that it
not shut off spontaneously was "ridiculous" and that I didn't understand
battery technology.  From what I can tell, they have no intention of
honouring the warranty or doing anything beyond replacing the batteries
(which they've already done, to no avail - they aren't the source of the
problem).  Basically, I feel I've been sold a lemon.  Any advice on how
to deal with these guys?

Thanks in advance,

-kms

===

The full story if anyone's interested.

First off the symptoms:  when the battery gets below 20%, it'll either
turn right off or the screen will go blank with no hope of it coming
back, even after plugging the unit in.  From what I can tell, you have
to start with a full battery and run it down to that point, so it may be
heat-related.  I've always been able to reproduce this problem.

At first they suspected the battery, so I ordered a new battery to test
the theory as I was on a trip and couldn't afford to lose the tablet.
The new battery did the same thing.  So I returned the unit after I got
back into the country, about 4 weeks ago.  Since then, they've claimed
that both the new and old battery were defective and gave me two new
ones.  I only got these last Wednesday.  I tested it right away that
night, and the same thing happened again.  They have yet to reproduce
the problem at their facility, but at the same time they have never
followed the instructions I gave them.

So now we're at a stalemate.  I claim that I can reproduce the problem,
and that I'll demonstrate it to them on Tuesday.  They claim that there
isn't a problem and that I'm just whining about battery performance (not
true: the batteries work well, I just can't deal with an unreliable
system).  If they don't pony up on Tuesday, what are my options?  Can I
take this to some other power?  Threaten legal action of some sort?  Or
am I forced to live with this crap and bitterly complain whenever anyone
asks about my tablet?

Thanks again for any and all advice!

                              Kareem Shehata
                            kareem-d+8TeBu5bOew5LPnMra/2Q at public.gmane.org