New Computer Thread Back in March

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Fri Aug 3 14:29:20 UTC 2007

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 03, 2007 at 09:56:31AM -0400, Ivan Avery Frey wrote:
>> Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to consider this next time I'm
>> considering a new computer.
>
> I can tell you in this case the key was using a Silverstone TJ04 case,
> and a silverstone power supply (about 400W or so).  The fans in the
> silverstone power supplies and their cases are amazingly quiet.  The 5mm
> solid aluminum front on the case, and the rather solid steel sides help
> dampen noise too.  The drives are WD SATA drives, which I find to be
> some of the quietest drives around.  The stock cpu fan for the Core 2
> 6400 also seems to be quiet enough.  A cheap flimsy case and a cheap
> power supply, will make a ton of noise.  Cheap cases will have the sides
> amplifying any noise made in the computer as well as by any vibrations.
> I have also noticed many add in case fans can be rather noisy,
> especially after a few months when the sleeve bearings start to die.

Antec Sonata II or III are good cases as well, and their 450W PSUs are
quiet with multiple variable speed fans. I can hear the heads move on my
one WD SATA drive when the computer is running, can't hear a thing with
my RAIDed Seagates. No fan noise at all either, just a faint whooshing
of air :)

Jamon