Xubuntu on 1999 Dell PIII 450mhz and 128 megs ram; not enough

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 29 14:25:07 UTC 2007

On Sat, Apr 28, 2007 at 08:45:12PM -0400, Fraser Campbell wrote

> I think I might have to play with blackbox, need to figure out how
> to put a few more things on the menu though (ubuntu package only
> gives xterm, restart and exit options).

  I use pypanel for that stuff.  it gives you the basic bar at the
bottom that hides away until you bring your mouse pointer to the bottom.
You get a small digital clock and icons for active tasks.  You have to
manually type in a list of programs and icons in the "LAUNCH_LIST"
section of .pypanelrc.

  One question about Ubuntu; does it expect dhcp addresses to be handed
out?  The install never asked me a question about my network.  My Dell
has a bog-standard "tulip" chip for its NIC, so it should've been
detected.  My main machine's firewall logs showed traffic on port 67
from source 0.0.0.0 destination 255.255.255.255 around the time the Dell
was being re-booted.  This indicates that the NIC was detected and was
being used.  I didn't get around to setting my router to give out a
dynamic IP address, but I could've done it if I thought Xubuntu was
going to be feasable.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?