Windows Vista restricts GNU GCC apps to 32 MB

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 28 23:41:28 UTC 2007

On 4/28/07, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> In effect, it's a limitation when running MS-DOS-style applications on
> Windows (and that fits; MS-DOS was unaware of the existence of Win32
> as it predates it).

I read it differently.. as it seems to read that it is a problem for
anyone who writes with one codebase which is to be deployed broadly
without any special vista-specific tweaks.

Yes, old software may not generally require more than 32MB of memory..
but some of it sure does.

> It's not a restriction for apps you might deploy using Cygwin; Cygwin
> provides a POSIX-y layer on top of Win32, in which case the
> restriction may be easily inferred NOT to apply.

The author of that article specifically cites cygwin as a non-solution
because he requires a set of programming features which aren't
provided within that environment.  The type of stuff the author is
working on is pretty neat.  If you're into that math stuff.  =)

> It may well be a relevant restriction to things like bootloaders, but
> anyone that builds a bootloader requiring 32MB of memory deserves any
> trouble they get into :-).

hah.

I'm sure grub has that on the drawing board somewhere.  ;)

The article made me laugh to learn of such nonsense as not having a
fullscreen 'dos' window anymore.  Sigh..