Xubuntu on 1999 Dell PIII 450mhz and 128 megs ram; not enough

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 28 18:43:13 UTC 2007

| From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org>

|   Although I may be considered a Gentoo fanboi by some, I did try
| Xubuntu last week.  It wasn't on my main machine, but on my old 1999
| Dell.  The install was excruciatingly slow.  Once installed, Xubuntu was
| only painfully slow.

Sad, but I'm not too surprised.  (I'm typing this into my MUA running
on a k6-200, 64M, RHL7.0 box.)

|   Optimized Gentoo runs OK on the Dell, and I keep it around as my
| emergency backup.  With the exception of "internet TV" and editing
| 2560x1920 digital photos in Gimp, the Dell keeps pace with my AMD3000+
| with 2 gigs of main ram, and 256 meg video (twice as much as the Dell's
| main ram<g>).

In what sense "keeps pace"?  Is it that both are limited by your
typing speed?

|   Ubuntu is also probably compiled as
| i386.  I set Gentoo to build with...
| CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium3 -fomit-frame-pointer -mmmx -msse -mfpmath=sse"
| plus I throw in "mmx" and "sse" use flags.

How much difference do you expect that to make?  I would expect a CPU
usage difference that would be negligible.  Since memory space is the
problem, have a look at what "size" says about comparable binaries
(eg. tr and bash, glibc).