Xubuntu on 1999 Dell PIII 450mhz and 128 megs ram; not enough

Walter Dnes waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org
Sat Apr 28 17:07:43 UTC 2007

  Although I may be considered a Gentoo fanboi by some, I did try
Xubuntu last week.  It wasn't on my main machine, but on my old 1999
Dell.  The install was excruciatingly slow.  Once installed, Xubuntu was
only painfully slow.

  Optimized Gentoo runs OK on the Dell, and I keep it around as my
emergency backup.  With the exception of "internet TV" and editing
2560x1920 digital photos in Gimp, the Dell keeps pace with my AMD3000+
with 2 gigs of main ram, and 256 meg video (twice as much as the Dell's
main ram<g>).  Xubuntu is supposed to be the least-resource hungry
Ubuntu variant, because it uses XFCE desktop, rather than GNOME (Ubuntu)
or KDE (Kubuntu).

  I use Blackbox WM under Gentoo.  Desktop Environment?  We don't need
no steenkin desktop environment.  Ubuntu is also probably compiled as
i386.  I set Gentoo to build with...
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium3 -fomit-frame-pointer -mmmx -msse -mfpmath=sse"
plus I throw in "mmx" and "sse" use flags.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> In linux /sbin/init is Job #1
Q. Mr. Ghandi, what do you think of Microsoft security?