file copy with progress?

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 27 21:29:52 UTC 2007

On Fri, Apr 27, 2007 at 08:58:40AM -0400, Aaron Vegh wrote:
> I'm copying a large number of files to another drive, totalling over
> 250GB. The command cp, and scp, will show nothing while doing that
> copy. I'd love to see a progress indicator for each file in the copy
> so I know how it's coming along. Any suggestions?

Do you know how long it takes to figure out what to copy ahead of time
to provide progress bars?  Windows can spend more time gathering
statistics before starting to copy than it does on the actual copy in
cases involing lots of small files.

rsync does give nice info with something like:
rsync -av --progress  sourcedir destdir

--
Len Sorensen