file copy with progress?

Amanda Yilmaz ayilmaz-e+AXbWqSrlAAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Apr 27 21:10:40 UTC 2007

I often use rsync locally when I want to copy something and track its
progress; for example, to copy a directory of files to another
directory, I would use something like this:

rsync -arv --progress /somedir/dirtocopy /otherdir

where
-a means "archive" (preserve attributes, mod times, etc. as far as possible)
-r means "recursive" (for recursive directory copies)
-v means "verbose"
--progress shows progress on individual files during transfer

You may wish to read the rsync man page first before using it; in
particular, there's one special form involving a trailing slash on the
source directory that's a little funky (this is explained in the "Usage"
section).

Amanda