Vista Command Line

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 26 14:18:02 UTC 2007

Chris Cunnington wrote:
> I found the command line. Hit the Start button, and type command into the
> search window. Then the command prompt shows up. It understands ping and
> netstat, but not ls, pwd, or vim. Oh, joy. So I have two questions, now that
> I've encountered MS-DOS (which descended from Kildall's C/PM, and
> Patterson's QDOS. And no, you didn't know that. I'm the first person to know
> that. Ever.)

Actually, I have a copy of Byte Magazine from (IIRC) June 1986, that
contains an article by Tim Patterson about the history of DOS.  I also
recognized before then that many of the DOS calls were identical or very
simialr to those in CP/M.
> 1. Can anybody recommend a book on MS-DOS?
>
> 2. Can anybody give me a reason for reading such a book?

No.

BTW, I have *EVERY* issue of Byte Magazine, going back to Vol. 1, #1,
Sept 1975.  I bought the first 3 issues, in person, from Wayne Green the
original publisher of Byte, at the 1975 Radio Society of Ontario
Convention in Ottawa, Oct. 1975.