Linux and gaming - sapling program

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 24 21:13:56 UTC 2007

On Tue, Apr 24, 2007 at 05:04:09PM -0400, Sy Ali wrote:
> http://www.fallingleafsystems.com/sapling/
>
> I just signed up for these guys to check them out.  I want to see
> something like this done for the Linux community.  I hate the idea of
> paying a service fee and want to see a one-time translation fee.  Yes,
> I would pay *more* for a game, via a service like this, just so it
> would work on Linux.
>
> It's a teeny tiny setup, with a small forum.. and nothing extra gained
> for paying (yet), so I can't recommend it unless you're into the idea
> and don't care about the $50.  =)

Hmm, seems interesting, although they seem very lacking on details of
what they are actually doing.  At least with Loki we knew that they were
porting the original game code to SDL/openGL for linux.  It sounds like
these guys are writing a directx to opengl library and then somehow
porting the game or maybe just doing a wrapper around the windows
binary.  Hard to say with the lack of details they provide.

For now I will stick to supporting the few comanies that released linux
binaries for their games (I am not done playing NWN yet either).

--
Len Sorensen