Fwd: IT360 Volunteer Rules

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 24 20:47:11 UTC 2007

--- CLIFFORD ILKAY <clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 April 2007 09:14, Colin McGregor
> wrote:
> > What follows is the rules for volunteers at the
> IT360
> > show.
> [snip]
> >  - Dress code will be business casual. This means:
> >     - For men shirts with a collar,
> >     - For men no ties.
> [snip]
> > Any volunteers who appear to be in clear violation
> of
> > the above will be instructed to leave.
> [snip]
>
> No ties really sounds bizarre. Since when is it no
> longer acceptable
> to wear a suit and tie in a professional setting?

I don't have a problem with ties, I own enough of
them, and I have been in IT jobs where ties were
required (about 20 years ago I worked for a firm where
EVERY male staff member, regardless as to department
was required to wear sports jacket and tie, for the
right size pay cheque, that's fine with me :-) ).

First time out at the Linux World Canada show (the one
where SCO had a booth (how times change :-) )) we
tried the business formal look, and let's just say it
didn't work out. Since then asking everyone to show up
in business casual has worked,and that is what I have
attempted to codify in the rules.

> Also, why are there no specific instructions for
> women? Dressing
> inappropriately is hardly the exclusive domain of
> men.

Very true, there being TV shows basically dedicated to
women with little to a bad fashion sense
(en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_Not_to_Wear) but like it
or not in OUR society what women can get away with in
terms of clothes is a LOT wider than with men. Problem
is how to write an short list of fashion does/don't
without looking sexist, nasty, etc...

What you saw in the rule list was the best I could
come up with, and yes, I am open to suggestions as to
how it could be improved.

Colin McGregor