Welcome to Microsoft !!!

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 23 20:42:44 UTC 2007

On 4/23/07, CLIFFORD ILKAY <clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Monday 23 April 2007 13:44, Chris Cunnington wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I've bought a Microsoft Vista laden computer because ...
> >
> > So, since I have to leave Mac, and learn Microsoft, I need to know
> > a few things.
> >
> > 1. What do Microsofties use instead of Fetch for uploading files
> > for a website to a server (ftp client)?
>
> PuTTY and optionally, WinSCP.
>
> > 2. Where's my Terminal? I need to find the application in Vista/XP
> > that will present me with a command line I can summon vi from.
> > Where is that?
>
> I saw a demo of a Microsoft shell, code named "monad", a couple of
> years ago. It looked quite interesting. No idea if it is in Vista or
> not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_PowerShell
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/management/powershell/default.mspx

They renamed it as Windows "PowerShell," and yes, it's available on
Vista.  The Wikipedia page describes it seemingly fairly nicely...

The following "comparison of shells" is also pretty apropos...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_computer_shells

It's definitely an enormous step ahead from what they had in previous
OSes.  The "grand error" is that, way, way, way back when, IBM put
Rexx in as a way to script on OS/2, which was a reasonably powerful
way to do things.

Microsoft, when deploying Windows, ABSOLUTELY REJECTED this, and
effectively rejected having anything smarter than COMMAND.COM as a
scripting language.

In my view, that is as severe a mistake as anything else that they
have ever done that might be considered mistaken.  If they *had*
decided to have some form of "powerful shell," almost irrespective of
what, I expect that things would have turned out differently in how
subsequent systems from MSFT have been deployed/adopted.

Monad/PowerShell is a *genuine* step in the "way more powerful"
direction; feel smug about Linux superiority at some peril...
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)