Linux -> Mac?

Dave Cramer davec-zxk95TxsVYDyHADnj0MGvQC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 23 11:37:23 UTC 2007

On 22-Apr-07, at 10:56 PM, William Park wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at 09:45:16PM -0400, Pavel Zaitsev wrote:
>> William Park(opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org)@Sun, Apr 22, 2007 at
>> 08:43:56PM -0400:
>>> Just a question for those of you with Mac...
>>>
>>> - Why do you (supposedly Linux guys) have Mac?
>>> - How does Mac help you in a way that Linux doesn't?
>>> - Do you use Mac for your Linux/Unix related tasks?
>>> - After using them both, have you given up on Mac?  Or, Linux?
>>>
>>> In other word, convince me to buy a Mac for myself, and not just as
>>> present. :-)
>>
>> new macbooks are fast, they run linux and os x and windows
Yes, they are as fast as anything out there, in fact at one time they
were the fastest notebooks around

> Which Linux distro installs onto iMac/Macbook?
almost any now. They run windows natively after all

> My main interest at this point is...  I hear/read that there is BSD
> underneath.  But, how useable is Mac as Unix machine?  I hear that Mac
> OS running on top of BSD is not the same as KDE/Gnome running on top
> of Linux/Xorg.
Pretty much vanilla BSD underneath. All the commands you'd expect to
find in a shell.

The one thing that they have messed with is user auth. /etc/passwd is
not used.

Other than that I can do anything in a shell I can do on a BSD box,

>> when you need to. they all things you need a computer to do
>> while taking the least possible amount of your worthwhile time
>> straightening out library versions, kernel patches and
>> wireless firmware versions. some people live by fildding with
>> things, some people need a reliable "office tool" and unix buddy.
>> so it just works.

Yes, as I said, It "just works" so I can concentrate on working.
All the little things like dual displays, auto dimming, etc actually
work!
Now admittedly you have to pay for some utilities, but nothing is
truly $0 cost.

Add up the number of hours you spend getting your desktop the way you
want it.
Then multiply that by your hourly rate, then go and use that money to
buy a Mac

I did

Dave