Xubuntu pre-install questions

Mel Wilson mwilson-4YeSL8/OYKRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 22 14:55:35 UTC 2007

Ian Petersen wrote:

> One caveat is that the system I'm describing is Gentoo, so most of the
> user-ish binaries end up in /usr/bin so I'm not really at risk of
> running out of space on /.  I don't know where Xubuntu puts things so
> you may need a bigger / partition.  I'd expect both distros to mostly
> adhere to the filesystem hierarchy standard, though, so I'd just go
> ahead with 2 Gigs if it were me.

I just did a Kubuntu install, taking defaults for most things, but
putting /home, /var and swap in their own partitions.  With the
standard stuff plus qemu, Thunderbird, Firefox and a few others, / is
taking 2.33 GB.

I once had an incident with Slackware 10 that suggested that if I
installed *EVERYTHING* in the release it would have needed about 4GB
in / .  All the stuff I want to use (including KDE, gcc, ...) fits
into 2GB in / partition.

	Mel.