Conservative MP Introduces 'Clean Internet Act'

Paul King sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 22 11:27:02 UTC 2007

That's because it is not intended to fight crime. It is intended to invade our
privacy. The rhetoric in recent years to "fight crime before it happens" means
to use police state measures and to hold everyone, including past offenders, as
guilty before being proven innocent. In most free countries, it is the other
way around.

This snooping law, like all snooping laws, is purported to be a surveillance of
past offenders. But to know if a past offender is gaining internet access, what
they really have to do is to examine the registrations, messages, and other
traffic of the rest of us as well. Laws like this, like all laws that allow
snooping of our internet traffic without warrant, is a law against everybody,
not just a law against repeat offenders. I find it difficult for anyone to say
that the police are only looking at repeat offenders, or foreign terrorists,
since it is so difficult *not* to look at all of the traffic -- since it is all
nothing more than a fishing expedition for cops anyway.

Even past offenders -- if they have been punished for their crimes, then I feel
they have a right to be left alone. If punishment is not enough for them to
learn their lesson, then I have to say that that is a failure of the prison
system and justice system, since it is supposed to act as a deterrent. If we
accept that the justice system works, then we also accept that people outside
of prison have a right to be left alone.

If we accept that "offenders never change", then we allow the concept of
"guilty until proven innocent" to be tolerable in a free society. If it becomes
acceptable to treat repeat offenders in this fashion, then it becomes
acceptable to treat the rest of us in the same way. We are all guilty of
something. All that is left is for the police to find out what we are guilty
of. Would you want to live in a country like that?

Paul King