help analyzing an attack

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 18 18:30:51 UTC 2007

Ian Petersen wrote:
> On 4/18/07, Dave Cramer <davec-zxk95TxsVYDyHADnj0MGvQC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > Using a stupidly easy to guess password? :)
>> >
>> Yes, don't ask, the horse is already out of the barn... :(
>
> I had this happen to me once, and I also felt stupid.  Now I can only
> ssh into my machine using a key pair--password authentication is
> completely disabled.  You might want to consider that when you get
> your machine rebuilt.
>
> Ian

Simply moving ssh from port 22 is the easiest and most effective way to
avoid *most* attacks. However, security through obscurity, as we all
know, is only so resilient to crackers, so passkey auth only is the most
effective solution.

Also, with the Fedora releases, pretty much 18 months after the release,
imagine that your version never happened. It is pretty imperative that
you upgrade every 18 months if you want your system to stay secure. If
you like fedora, but want security, give centos a try, you'll like it,
and they just released version 5 which is pretty nice.

Jamon