Linksys NSLU2, anyone?

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 17 19:58:08 UTC 2007

| From: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>

| I have one running, erm, ... I think "unslung."
|
| Apparently Debian has gotten more pleasant on it than it was when I
| last played with it.

I bought (but have not used) a Linksys WRTSL54GS.  Would this be
better for your application?  It includes a wireless router, a switch,
and one USB 2.0 port for mass storage.

Supported by OpenWRT, but I just read an unverified message that said
that the USB2.0 support might be broken, forcing USB1.1 speeds.
See message 178 here:
http://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=3529&p=8

Slightly cheaper than the NSLU2 at Best Buy ($149.99).
$117.59 at Canada Computers.
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=009794
$115 and Infonec
http://www.infonec.com/site/main.php?module=detail&id=16509

But wait!  Canada Computers lists them for $88.19, with only two in
stock (one in Richmond Hill, one in Scarborough):
http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct&cmd=pd&pid=004999&cid=990
I once had them ship something between their stores.  No charge, but
it took a few days.

According to http://wiki.openwrt.org/TableOfHardware:

NSLU2 is based on a 266MHz Intel IXP 422 [ARM], has 8M flash, 32M RAM, 2 USB
2.0 ports, not currently/yet supported by OpenWRT.

WRTSL54GS is based on 266MHz Broadcom 4704 [MIPS 32, I think], has 8M
flash, 32M RAM, 1 USB 2.0 port, and is supported by OpenWRT.

I like the idea of hacking on these little, cheap, low power boxes.  I
just haven't gotten around to it.  One might choose between these
boxes based upon which community is better suited to ones interests.
I chose the WRTSL54GS because I thought that more kinds of connection
meant more ways of using it.  Oh, and I do want to hack on a router
and I thought USB might make that easier.  Final reason: a good price
at Tiger Direct (turned out to be a price error).

Who else in TLUG is interested in hacking on consumer-targetted
routers?  The best deal right now is probably the Motorola WR850G,
refurb, for $22 or $23 (4M flash, 16M RAM, OpenWRT support).