Will Linux run on an HP m7680n?

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 17 16:44:18 UTC 2007

Greetings, all.

It turns out my current computer (a PII 266MHz) that I put together myself is
not 7 years old as I thought but 9 years old (I just recently found the
receipt for the MB). I would like to upgrade it and soon while some machine
are still available that don't have Vista on them.

I could put a machine together but these days but these days I just don't
really feel like going through the hassle to research all the bits and pieces
I need and I'm still not sure how much (if any) money I would save over buying
off the shelf. Also, if I get the right machine off the shelf I can still get
a copy of Windows XP rather than Vista. I still have a few applications I run
from time to time that want Windows (a few games such as Myst and Uru, and a
CAD application).

One of the few machines available at a local store near me has a Hewlett
Packard m7680n available for about $1,000. It has a nice amount of RAM and HD
built-in along with a TV tuner card (not sure whose card).

I know some people don't seem to like the HP machines. My concerns are whether
I can change the display board (if I need to) and am I likely to run in to any
other problems with running Linux on it?

Has anyone tried using this machine with Linux or know of web sites with
information from people who have (tried?) using Linux on it? I haven't found a
lot of information regarding this machine and Linux in my searches to date.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.