Advise: Programming Language to Learn

Jason Spiro jasonspiro4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 17 07:11:30 UTC 2007

On 4/12/07, Shakthi Kannan <askshakthimaan-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> If you haven't decided on a book already, I'd suggest "Beginning Perl"
> by Simon Cozens.
>
> http://www.perl.org/books/beginning-perl/
>
> Book is released under Creative Commons
> Attribution-NoDerivs-NonCommercial License.

Some other resources:

* There are a variety of Perl books online, including Beginning Perl
and all those listed at http://books.perl.org/onlinebooks -- but don't
forget CPAN, your source of freely downloadable Perl modules (i.e.
libraries).  Just type cpan and press Enter to enter the CPAN shell,
or visit the CPAN website.

* If you prefer newsgroups over mailing lists, comp.lang.perl.misc is
an excellent newsgroup for all your Perl questions.  But we on the
TLUG list also take Perl questions.  :)

* And don't forget the superb tool perldoc(1) which lets you see full
help on any perl keyword.  Type perldoc perl to see the start page.
Type perldoc perlintro for the tutorial.  Type perldoc split for help
on the split keyword, and so on.

If you use Emacs, try cperl-mode.  It provides you with quick
tooltip-like help on any keyword or builtin whenever you leave the
point (cursor) over a keyword for 5 seconds or more.  Cperl-mode does
a lot.  M-x customize-option cperl-hairy to t if you want all the
bells and whistles turned on.

Regards,
Jason