NFS, AFS and Samba

Pavel Zaitsev pavel-XHBUQMKE58M at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 15 20:07:37 UTC 2007

Ansar Mohammed(ansarm-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org)@Sun, Apr 15, 2007 at 12:33:16PM -0400:
> So what do the majority of you guys use out there?
> I am finding NFS completely insecure unless I have 100% control over all my
> clients that are mounting volumes. Does anyone use AFS?

If you want to serve files to anonymous individuals, HTTP is best. If you want them to upload use sftp. If you have authorized individuals, you will need to create VPN, for those interested in participating in your LAN. Thats how many companies do that. You can have NFS, running properly if you have NIS. Samba is a little bit simpler in authentication department and is quite fast, but you don't get to keep your permissions.

So yes if you want remote users to use your LAN services in general you would want then to connect to your net via some sort of VPN. Which will include authenticaiton. FreeSWAN seems to be popular.
Cheers,
Pavel

--
Create like God. Command like a King. Work like a Slave.
http://perlpimp.com | http://md5.ca/resume.pdf