open source project need help with USB driver

bob ican-rZHaEmXdJNJWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 12 17:15:26 UTC 2007

I facilitate an open source project which produces software to interface data
acquisition units in a physics lab in Brazil.

http://users.netrover.com/~ican/drdaq

The hardware that is used is a parallel port driven acquisition unit produced
by Pico Technologies:

http://www.drdaq.com

There is a Linux driver for this unit.

With parallel ports becoming obsolete on newer computers there is a need to
retrofit this hardware to USB.     Pico Tech helps with the following
product:

http://www.picotech.com/usb_parallel_port.html

... but as is often the case there are no Linux drivers for this system.
Pico Tech produces great hardware but when it comes to Linux support ...
let's just say they suck.

Some scanning around Google I came across these articles:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7466
http://libusb.sourceforge.net/doc/
http://www.linuxquestions.org/linux/answers/Programming/Developing_Linux_Device_Drivers_using_Libusb_API

It seems that maybe a user space USB driver for the DrDAQ via the libusb might
be the way to go.

Unfortunately,  nobody involved in this open source project has sufficient
expertise to handle the task.

If you know of anyone with the expertise (or wanting to gain the expertise)
and willing to volunteer as a coach/developer have them contact me offlist.

bob