seahorse and ssh

Fernando Duran liberosec-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 10 16:17:34 UTC 2007

Hi,

I don't know anything about seahorse-agent, I guess is
like ssh-agent for gnome? oh, OK googled up:
http://live.gnome.org/Seahorse

Can you use an alternative, or maybe apt-get remove
--purge & apt-get install it?

simplify its settings if possible?

does it produce a log, any info in the Linux logs?

Fernando

--- Matt Price <matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> still trying to work all this out.
>
> On Mon, 2007-09-04 at 17:38 -0400, Matt Price wrote:
> > On Mon, 2007-09-04 at 16:52 -0400, Fernando Duran
> wrote:
>
> > > - Problem just for a user: Try delete (leaving
> home
> > > directory) and recreate the user? Any difference
> (for
> > > instance in /etc/password) between your main
> older
> > > user and the new one (like shell etc)? compare
> also
> > > their env variables. What happens if from root
> you:
> > > sudo -u matt ssh 127.0.0.1 ?
> > interesting.  This works.  and, ah!  env shows two
> ssh-related
> > variables:
> > $ env | grep -i ssh
> > SSH_AGENT_PID=7098have tried some experiments and
> it does sem as if

SSH_AUTH_SOCK=/tmp/ssh-XeRWOq7017/agent.7017.seahorse

> > i'd forgotten about that.  from root of course
> this isn't an issue:
> > ~# sudo -u matt env | grep -i ssh
> > ~#
> >
> > so, tried killing seahorse-agent, and solves the
> problem!  yay.  now i
> > justh ave to figure out what's wrong with seahorse
> and how to fix it.
> > any suggestions?  tha so i'm not really surenks,
> >
> i've been experimen ting and itdoes seem as though
> seahorse-agent is the
> problem here.  however killing seahorse makes it
> harder to use wireless
> in gnome, and adds a burden to email (have to enter
> my passwrod every
> time i send a signed email); so i restart it
> manually in a terminal and
> watch to see what happens.  I getthese error
> messageso n startup:
>
> matt at gont:~$ killall seahorse-agent
> matt at gont:~$ seahorse-agent -d
>
> (seahorse-agent:8198): GnomeUI-WARNING **: While
> connecting to session
> manager:
> Could not open network socket.
> ** Message: Another GPG agent already running
>

> ** (seahorse-agent:8198): WARNING **: couldn't
> connect to SSH agent
> at: /tmp/ssh-sBWSGo7040/agent.7040.seahorse: No such
> file or directory
>
> ** (seahorse-agent:8198): WARNING **: couldn't
> contact SSH agent. Cannot
> proxy SSH key requests.
> -------------
> there's no man page to speak of for seahorse on
> ubuntu, so i'm not
> really sure what this all means.  anyone else
> understand this?  it seems
> like another process is supposed to be running --
> another seahorse-agent
> i guess-- but can't be found by the new seahorse,
> which therefore
> refuses to handle ssh requests (which is very good,
> since then ssh just
> works fine with manual entries).  does that sound
> right?  what might be
> causing this problem/how might i fix it?
>
> since i rebooted to make surei  had a clean slate i
> remembered that i
> have been having a funny problem with m
> gnome-session failing on boot --
> the session lasts just about two seconds,then goes
> to the gdm login
> page, after which everything boots fine.  i'm not
> sure what's ccausing
> that glitch but it souldsas though it might help
> explain some of what
> i'm seeing.
>
> anyway, if there's anyone out there who understnads
> what's going on i'd
> love some hints.  thanks,
>
> matt
>

> > matt

> protection around
> > > http://mail.yahoo.com
> > > --
> > > The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings:
> http://gtalug.org/
> > > TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text
> [...]

Fernando Duran
http://www.fduran.com