can't ssh out?

Fernando Duran liberosec-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 9 20:52:29 UTC 2007

Hmmm, some semi-random thoughts:

- I guess you upgraded to ubuntu feisty (perhaps
apt-get dist-upgrade ?) and that version is still not
stable (wait till later this month?). Was ssh working
properly before the upgrade? Any other recent change,
networking?

- Time-outs always makes me suspect DNS. Just for the
sake of it, use ip addresses instead of host name,
localhost. Some people (especially mac users) have
problems when reverse dns is not set and it takes them
minutes to log in.

- Problem just for a user: Try delete (leaving home
directory) and recreate the user? Any difference (for
instance in /etc/password) between your main older
user and the new one (like shell etc)? compare also
their env variables. What happens if from root you:
sudo -u matt ssh 127.0.0.1 ?

- Look at the logs /var/logs/messages /var/log/secure
for possible ssh/authentication error messages

- sanity checks: /etc/init.d/sshd restart , netstat
-talp while connecting, backup and clean the
/etc/ssh/ssh_config file, leave only defaults.

- for extra points: tcpdump, strace...

Fernando