Advise: Programming Language to Learn

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Apr 9 18:04:18 UTC 2007

On Mon, Apr 09, 2007 at 01:37:49PM -0400, Stephen wrote:
> I often need to do utility programs to, for example, extract email
> addresses from a text file.

Well for munging text, it is hard to beat perl (other than for writing
understandable pretty code).  I suspect python handles text quite well
too, and is certainly a much cleaner language.  awk could probably do it
too, but I wouldn't want to inflict that on people in general.

> I used to use OS/2 REXX and it was great and fast.
>
> What would be a good choice to use on my Linux system?
>
> I know Pascal well, C fair and PHP pretty well.

I would say try python.  Quite popular, with lots of handy libraries
available.

--
Len Sorensen