New Debian

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 8 18:59:47 UTC 2007

On Sunday 08 April 2007 14:30, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

> Debian 4.0 (Etch) is released.  Yay!  It has been less than 2 years
> since Sarge was released, which is actually pretty good for Debian.  And
> only about 4 month after the intended release date.
>
> It now has an optional graphical installer for people that think such
> things are important.  It now uses a 2.6 kernel at all times, rather
> than optionally.  Apache 2.2 (yay large file support), and lots of
> other new goodies.  Also has amd64(x86_64) architecture officially
> supported now, unlike the unofficial sarge port.

Just noticed that myself on LWN.  Announcement is at
http://www.debian.org/News/2007/20070408 for those interested.

Debian releases always seem to be this way - first I can't wait for them, then
they're delayed, then I see grumbling about how the process is broken, then I
forget about it, then it springs out of the blue (at least for me).

This is great timing, I'm about to build some new servers and I don't much
like using testing (or unstable).