Fwd:Reviewing Window Managers

Giles Orr gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Apr 5 14:46:45 UTC 2007

To answer a bunch of questions at once ...

On 4/4/07, Sy Ali <sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > One thing which would be most helpful would be to give people a
> > high-level overview of the project.
>
> Sorry, I mean to say that one page would have an overview for each
> window manager in a nice table.
>
> Perhaps you could use a javascript sort routine on the table to let
> people sort things by "footprint lightness" or "alpha/beta-ness",
> "quality of documentation", "size of community" etc..

I think the table idea is an excellent one, but I'm writing the paper
in DocBook format which doesn't support sorting - although it will
definitely do tables.  I could do an external HTML table, but the
truth is my JS skills just aren't up to that.  If I do the table (it's
a question of time - I'd like to) I would also include the language
it's written in, which would interest a lot of people as well.

On 4/4/07, Kevin Cozens <kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > - olvwm (deb)
> > - olwm (deb)
>
> Why is there '(deb)' beside teh above two items?

The (deb) marker by the WM name was just an indicator that I can fetch
that particular WM through Debian's package management system.  It's
an artifact of my own notes that I should have removed from the list.

On 4/5/07, Glen Strom <gstrom-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> There's a website that's been listing window managers for the
> past several years at the following location:
>
> http://xwinman.org/

Thanks for the URL - I've been using them heavily for years.  :-)  I
think I've got all the WMs they list.

On 4/5/07, Paul King <sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Check Sourceforge again. Golem does not appear to be dead.

I'm not sure a hiatus of four years followed by a beta code release
with promises of renewed vitality and another year of silence
constitutes a return from death ...  The name "golem" may be
appropriate.  I had high hopes for that one too.  Sorry, I see it a
lot with WMs - coders with the best of intentions who just can't quite
find the time to update the project.  Of course, my document may
itself go that way, only time will tell.  Nevertheless it does fall within
my cutoff date (Jan. 2005) so I'll review it.

--
Giles
http://www.gilesorr.com/
gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org