Yet Another reason to use linux...

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Apr 4 14:25:22 UTC 2007

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 09:09:43PM -0400, Sy Ali wrote:
> Just a quick note on the KDE thread.
>
> I've tried and tried to find alternatives to a number of KDE
> applications, but that seems to be a hopeless cause.
>
> There is another thread which has talked about finding the Linux
> equivalent of various Windows apps.  I wonder how it would change if
> the equivalent apps were organized so people could also look for
> non-KDE alternatives.
>
> Some curious strugles for me have included
>
> - kate (hmm, with nedit maybe?  or just bone up on vim)

I only use vim.  gvim isn't bad but I just use vim.  I hate dealing with
most other editors.

> - k3b (various good choices these days)

The nautilus cdburner plugin actually works surprisingly well.  I
personally prefer mkisofs and company from the command line.

> - kgpg (all I want to do is have encrypted text in my clipboard and be
> able to decrypt it into a popup window and the reverse - apparently
> this is impossible with the other choices)

Never heard of that, nor ever thought of needing such a tool.  no idea.

> It's quite an adventure to try to step away from some of the really
> great KDE applications.

I guess I never used most of them.  I really just want working terminal
windows and the ability to run a web browser (and certainly not
konqueror).

--
Len Sorensen