Yet Another reason to use linux...

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 3 17:03:16 UTC 2007

On Tue, Apr 03, 2007 at 12:27:10PM -0400, Sheldon Mustard wrote:
> xubuntu runs pretty well on 96 or 128 MB RAM is that 1999 levels probably
> not eh.

Well common around 1995 was Penium 90 with 8MB ram.  I built a CAD
system in early 1997 with a PPro 200 and 128MB ram, so that would
probably be above normal at the time.  I think by 2000 256MB ram would
be pretty common, so yeah 96 or 128MB ram would probably be perfectly
reasonable in 1999.  The main ram problem is X and some of the
applications for it (KDE being the worst offender I think, with gnome a
close second, although openoffice and firefox may in some cases be even
worse on ram use).

--
Len Sorensen