Yet Another reason to use linux...

Sy Ali sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Apr 3 16:00:51 UTC 2007

On 4/3/07, D. Hugh Redelmeier <hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Most mainline Linux distros seem to be roughly as piggy as WinXP.
> Luckilly Vista has come out, so the bar has moved (the wrong way).
>
> I wonder why there isn't a mainline distro that is reasonably
> functional and yet "parties like it's 1999".  If you know what you are
> doing, you can slim some distros down or pick slim off-beat ones, but
> the "know what you are doing" is the catch.

There are lots of choices - and most of them suck.  I've spent a bunch
of time looking through the selection only to realise that it would be
easier to strip down a mainstream distro to a reasomable level than
deal with the crusty old "not updated since 1999" distros out there.

There are some reasonable candidates out there - but for some strange
reason they want to use fluxbox instead of blackbox.  *shrug*.

But there really are some interesting choices - which, for example,
use an alternate to X11..

DSL is looking nice.  Too bad it has craptastic hardware detection.
Bleh, I might have to revive psylos.  =/