Genesys gl811e - based usb mass storage

Christopher Friedt cfriedt-u6hQ6WWl8Q3d1t4wvoaeXtBPR1lH4CV8 at public.gmane.org
Sun Apr 1 10:17:30 UTC 2007

My USB storage device came with it's own power brick, but I also tried
using a powered 4 port usb hub, which predictably did not make a
difference. I used 2 different USB cables, and also a powered and a
non-powered port. All of the USB ports on my laptop have been reliable I
can say.

The problem is the actual chip. The manufacturers of the gl811e, Genesys
Logic, eventually replied to the linux-usb-devel list saying that to
have their usb-ide bridge work, one would need to alter the linux kernel
so that MAX_SECTORS was reduced to 64. _Fine_ so they wanted to be a bit
cheap with their chip and only include a 32kB as opposed to a 64kB
cache. I can understand that from an economics point of view.

However, they also told the linux-usb-devel group that an extra 100us
delay was added between the scsi command and the data stage, in spite of
Genesys claiming that their chips are 100% standards compliant...

That really nerfs me sometimes :P

I tried hacking out a few things in the kernel, but it seems that this
enclosure is truly a piece of garbage. I've read that even with the
official windows drivers, windows users still encounter write / read
errors when transferring large chunks of data with this chip.

the contingency plan: going to ask for my $$ back !

~/Chris