Webalizer

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 30 16:20:36 UTC 2006

On Friday 29 September 2006 19:19, Jason Carson wrote:
> > On Friday 29 September 2006 14:22, Jason Carson wrote:
>
> > Are you sure that you are logging referrers in your apache (or other?)
> > logfile?
>
> How do I do that? I am using Apache 2.0.58

Find where your logfile is defined in apache config (usually
under /etc/httpd,  /etc/apache or /etc/apache2).  For my logfiles I have one
line like this for each virtual host:

  CustomLog /var/log/apache/www.SOMEDOMAIN.com-access.log combined

The key word is combined, this tells apache to log in the combined format.

The "combined" format is a standard logformat that is actually defined
elsewhere in your apache config like this (in my case
in /etc/apache/httpd.conf):

  LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\" \"%{User-Agent}i\"
        \"%{forensic-id}n\"" combined

(above should be on a single line) but your apache config probably already
defines that.  Here is a line from one of my apache logs:

68.72.172.230 - -
[30/Sep/2006:12:03:56 -0400] "GET /articles/2006/09/11/rhel5-beta-now-available
HTTP/1.1" 200
10000 "http://www.google.com/search?q=rhel5+&hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&start=20&sa=N" "Mozilla/5.0
(Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.9a1) Gecko/20060926
Minefield/3.0a1" "-"

In addition to the standard log items you can see from the above that the user
found the page via google, what search term they used and what browser/os
they claim to be using.

Check out the apache docs on custom log formats at
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_log_config.html#formats ... combined
is a relatively standard format that most log analysers will recognize
immediately, deviating too much from the "standards" will make your log
analyzing tougher.