We need to make a good Windows UI clone (Was: At the US border)

paul sutton zleap-Tp5KeRqLOeNeoWH0uzbU5w at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 30 08:51:21 UTC 2006

i was in georgetown library the other day,  and noticed they had a Linux
desktop,  well in fact i only noticed when I saw an error message
relating to GNOME, and thought hang on thats not windows,  closer
inspection revealed that it was a gnome desktop running I think on
LTSP.   I don't think people notice the desktop as it just works,  there
is openoffice, irc, and the gnome www client (can'[t remember name off
hand),  but it should Linux does work on the desktop,

Is this used in any of the other libraries in the area,

i have been using Linux for years I just did not notice it,  I guess
because the Library UI was there, and it just worked,  for most people
they are just using the library search facilty to look for resources,
so there is no need to worry about the back end that much,

Good to see Linux on the desktop though,  this could be the way
forward,  get it on terminals like this first,  then slowly migrate to
the working desktop

any comments.

Paul