Samba3 + WinXP problem

E K ekg_ab-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 29 00:58:40 UTC 2006

Are you able to see the domain groups from the Windows machine? Probably windows is only able to see the domain users and not the domain groups. In that case, the user that you refer will not be recognized as a member of the administrator group and hence your problem.

EK

Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> wrote: On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 06:07:27PM -0400, Madison Kelly wrote:
>   I've got a very frustrating problem at one of my job's client's
> networks that I administer. It seems that, come heck or high water,
> Windows XP (SP2) insists that a domain user who is added to the local
> machine's Administrator group will only get Guest privileges.
>
>  This causes problems because the only way I can install software (inc.
> updates) is to login to the local machine instead of the domain. I have
> tried switching between tdbsam and smbpasswd backends, I have remapped
> my groups several times... I am stumped.
>
>   If anyone is clueful on this, I would be *very* greatful as the
> client is getting impatient and I am feeling the pressure.
>
> Thanks all!
>
> Madison (who really hates all things windows... *sigh* ;) ).
>
> PS - If it helps, I'll post my smb.conf file (or anything else
> potentially helpful).

Which version of samba?  I know many of the more recent versions solved
a lot of problems with versions of XP.  At least that is what the
release notes/changelogs say.

--
Len Sorensen