LF laptop for IPCOP firewall

John Van Ostrand john-Da48MpWaEp0CzWx7n4ubxQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 28 19:25:34 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-28 at 14:52 -0400, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> I worked with a pentium 233mmx thinkpad a few years ago that certainly
> did not have a cdrom drive nor built in networking.

Instead of a laptop how about something else low power.  You could pick
up a Linksys WRT56GL and flash it with a custom Linux. At less than $100
it's pretty cheap, silent and will be less power than that the old
notebook.

If you want more CPU power or storage we sell ITX based systems for $410
that include a slim DVD-ROM CD-RW. You get essentially a 500Mhz PC with
256MB, 80GB, everything on-board, and one PCI slot (for the second NIC.)
It's fanless so the only noise is from the hard disk.  We often sell
these without the DVD/CDRW ($335) because one can temporarily hook up a
regular CD-ROM for installation and remove it for operation. If you have
a hard disk you want to use we can sell it without HD and DVD/CDRW for
$275.

When you consider the cost of a free notebook, two PCMCIA NICs, external
CD (if required) and then the maintenance of old hardware, the cost of
either of the above options might be justifiable.

--
John Van Ostrand
         Net Direct Inc.

Chief Technology Officer