Motherboard Question

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 28 13:25:59 UTC 2006

On Wed, Sep 27, 2006 at 11:46:34PM -0400, Dave Germiquet wrote:
>    This may be a bit off topic but what type of processor would you guy
> suggest for computational performance. I have seen some posts about AMD
> being better however how is the Intel DUO performing? Is it currently better
> then what AMD Has to offer?

The Core 2 Duo (not the Core Duo) certainly seems to be beating the
Athlon 64 X2 for performance so far.  It is also still rather hard to find
for sale anywhere (most places either don't have them yet, or they are
sold out, except maybe the lowest end models).  This is probably the
main reason AMD cut the cost of most of the athlon 64 and X2 prices by
about 50% when the Core 2 Duo was released.  They had to do that to make
the price/performance ratio even out.  It would be nice if intel could
try planning ahead once in a while, given there are so many socket 775
boards out there, and the majority can't run a Core 2 Duo because they
didn't plan for future power requirements, while with AMD, if the CPU
fits in the socket, then it should work on the board, with at most a
BIOS update to recognize that particular CPU.  It really is much
simpler, and potentially more future proof if you believe in upgrading
components over time.

For high end multiprocessor, you still can't beat the Opteron.  The Xeon
still has the shared front side bus to memory bandwidth problem and will
for some years yet.

In a few months there will also be the AMD "4x4" systems which will be
dual socket F boards which will take two X2 processors, of course with
seperate memory per cpu as per normal AMD setup, which intel will have a
hard time matching, assuming you have software that can make use of 4
cpu cores and that much memory bandwidth.

--
Len Sorensen