Free Software Mailing to MPs

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Sep 28 02:59:13 UTC 2006

Saw this on the Ottawa LUG list...

Subject: [oclug-announce] mailout to all 308 MPs
Date: Sun, 24 Sep 2006 23:52:03 -0400
From: "Brenda J. Butler" <bjb-J4oS66wZXds at public.gmane.org>
To: oclug-announce-pwPoLXtpye8KqIKEdFucNfd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org

Gosling www.goslingcommunity.org has organized a mailout
of some info packages on Free and Open Source Software
to all 308 Members of Parliament in the federal government.

Included (that I know of, so far) are 2 CDs of Linux
distros and some flyers, as well as URLs for them to get
more information.  This was sent out last Friday.

If you want to help, please contact your Federal Member
of Parliament and ask them about their opinion on this
package.

That act alone (writing the MP's once, before or as
they get their package) may mean that a lot more MP's
(or their staff) actually look at the packages and
read them.

If the OCLUG members also follow up afterwards with their
MPs and answer any questions they might have, or demonstrate
some software, or whatever, that would be even nicer.

My email to my MP went out just now.  The more constituents
who send a message to an MP, the more seriously that MP
will take the message.

cheerio,
bjb

It would be most interesting for some GTA-based MPs to hear from their
constituents, too...
Oddly enough, this is completely standard behaviour for shells. This
is a roundabout way of saying `don't use combined chains of `&&'s and
`||'s unless you think Gödel's theorem is for sissies'.