OT: Linux running 32 and 64

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 27 15:15:45 UTC 2006

Walter Dnes wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 21, 2006 at 06:42:08PM +0800, JM wrote
>> hi all,
>>
>> 	does anyone know of a site the did a benchmark on 32bit vs
>> 64bit processors?  and dual core vs 2 single core processors?
>>
>> thanks,
>
>   http://www.worlds-fastest.com/ has a benchmark test that showed a
> certain web app was actually 37% *FASTER IN 32 BITS* versus 64 bits.
> The comparison was 32 versus 64 bit versions of SUSE Linux Enterprise
> Server 10, running on a machine with two AMD Opteron64 cpus.

They did not run their certain web app with more than 2gb of memory in
any system. They did a test on their machines showing a marked
difference in throughput when moving from 1gb to 2gb, so how about the
64bit advantage of having, say, 16gb of ram?

That and how do we know that their cgi script is well designed without
seeing it?

It's great for them to have that paper though, as they can refer
McDonalds and FedEx to it when those companies wonder about upgrading to
64bit. Instead, NN&A can get some great contracts selling upgrades to
32bit systems.

Jamon