Life on the bleeding edge

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 27 01:50:34 UTC 2006

On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 08:51:32PM -0400, Tim Writer wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> > On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 11:05:34AM -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> > > There are useful reasons for making /tmp or /var separate partitions
> > > regardless of upgrade
> >
> > Certainly, but having seperate partitions for a whole bunch of things
> > usualyl causes more trouble than it is worth with a modern distribution.
>
> How so? I think it depends on usage. For a notebook/desktop user coming
> from Windows, a single large partition is probably easier to understand.
> For a server, a single large partition reduces manageability, security, and
> reliability IMO.
>
> Personally, I use LVM on everything, even notebooks. For desktops and
> servers I use LVM on RAID.

I think the deciding factor is your backup strategy.  I used to have
many partitions, each capable of complete backup/restore on its own.  As
harddisks got bigger, I used 2 partitions, ie. one for system (/) and
another for your data (/home).  /var and /usr/local symlinked to /home
partition.

Now, I am using one partition per harddisk, with nightly 'rsync' and
weekly 'rsync --delete' to backup harddisk (2 of them, in fact).  Easy
to backup and restore.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada
BashDiff: Super Bash shell