Life on the bleeding edge

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Sep 27 00:51:32 UTC 2006

Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org> writes:

> On Tue, Sep 26, 2006 at 11:05:34AM -0400, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> > There are useful reasons for making /tmp or /var separate partitions
> > regardless of upgrade
>
> Certainly, but having seperate partitions for a whole bunch of things
> usualyl causes more trouble than it is worth with a modern distribution.

How so? I think it depends on usage. For a notebook/desktop user coming
from Windows, a single large partition is probably easier to understand.
For a server, a single large partition reduces manageability, security, and
reliability IMO.

Personally, I use LVM on everything, even notebooks. For desktops and
servers I use LVM on RAID.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada