Toronto Linux Job Market

Robert Brockway rbrockway-wgAaPJgzrDxH4x6Dk/4f9A at public.gmane.org
Sat Sep 23 04:31:49 UTC 2006

On Tue, 12 Sep 2006, Jason Spiro wrote:

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I offer as my excuse that I was busy
doing Linux admin :)

> Where would you recommend I look to find out about part-time
> junior-level Linux positions? I am looking for something basic like

Part-time junior - that's a tricky one.  One good trick at a junior level
is to do volunteer work.  Smaller companies and lots of others will
consider this.  One of two things tends to happen:

1. The place likes you and manages to fund a position (P/T or F/T).  Don't
    expect this to happen really quickly.

2. The experience gained + references gets you a foot in the door
    somewhere else.

A friend of mine was doing a non-University IT course in Australia but it
was too MS-Windows centric.  I suggested he needed some Unix experience to
round out how IT education and to put him ahead of the crowd.  I got him a
volunteer spot at the place I was working at the time (a small IT
consultancy).  After about 18 months he landed a really nice job and
hasn't looked back since.

I've been noticing a lot of Linux kernel dev jobs coming up too. *hint*
*hint* :)

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.        Phone:          +1-905-821-2327
Senior Technical Consultant  Urgent Support: +1-416-669-3073