Life on the bleeding edge

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Sep 22 01:35:55 UTC 2006

On Thursday 21 September 2006 17:54, Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Mandriva's package management system is getting worse, not better.

Which one and how is it getting worse? They have more than one. I've
always liked urpmi and thought it was a highly underrated package
management system. With the acquisition of Connectiva, they also got
SmartPM, which I'm using now on Fedora Core 5. It seems all right.

> Their shot at a live/install system, Mandriva One, fails to
> impress. Besides the technical issues, recent management changes
> (ie, a nasty parting of ways with founder Gael Duval) have led to
> an attitude more like Red Hat and Novell than what
> Mandriva/Mandrake has traditionally offered. As a result they're
> putting more distance between the for-pay versions and the free
> ones.

I can't fault the management of Mandriva for wanting to make money,
especially in light of the company's near death experience couple of
years ago. They are criticized if they don't make money and end up in
bankruptcy protection but then are criticized when they try to make
money by differentiating their free product from the product for
which they charge money. I haven't seen this distance you're talking
about increase. They have always had versions that were not offered
for free but the free version wasn't lacking anything that other free
distros offered.

> By contrast, the commitment that there will only ever be one
> "level" of Ubuntu, identical for commercial or free use, offers
> significant appeal. And the one feature that I liked best about
> Mandriva at the time that Colin and I wrote the for the TuxMag
> shootout a few months ago -- the PLF repository -- is now available
> for Ubuntu.

How long it will remain so is not clear. See:
<http://www.mail-archive.com/ubuntu-plf_discuss%40zarb.org/msg00084.html>.

> I may yet stay with Mandriva -- kubuntu may turn out to have
> "idiosyncrasies" of its own -- but I'd like to evaluate some
> alternatives before settling in for another few years.

I have been a Mandrake/Mandriva user for years. Until a month ago, I
was running it on my laptop, which I use as my primary
development/working environment. I went through a flurry of trying
different distros because Mandriva 2006 that I had been using on that
machine for the last year didn't support an external LCD projector at
all. Apparently, it was because twinhead support in the version of X
that shipped with 2006 was broken. I was surprised at how bad and
fiddly twinhead configuration on X turned out to be. I ended up with
FC5 not because I liked it but because it was the only one, out of
Mandriva 2006, Mandriva 2007b2, Kubuntu (the latest, whatever that
is - I can't keep the cutesy animal names straight), and Fedora Core
5, that worked, well, sort of and not without rough edges. It was
interesting to note that the Windows users at the conference I
attended also didn't have a smooth ride with their laptops and LCD
projectors. The Apple equipment, as can be expected, seemed to work
without any fuss.

> Re-install
> time is the best time to do a look around and re-survey the
> landscape. Heck, I might even be ready for Gentoo, if it can handle
> laptop issues such as wireless networking, battery power and
> hibernation...

I never use hibernation or any form of sleep mode on laptops with
Linux or Windows because I've never found it to be without problems.
The wake up time is often longer than boot time so I failed to see
the attraction. I'd rather have something that boots quickly from a
cold start.

As for Gentoo, I have it running on a few servers. I'm impressed by
how fast a Gentoo box boots and by its package management system.
There was a recent Linux Journal article about creating Gentoo
packages and it seemed to be a very clean and straightforward
process.
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay